Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bagels with Vegetable Cream Cheese

It must be breakfast week on the blog.

I made these a few weeks ago, and now that they're gone, I'm living vicariously through this post. These bagels reminded me of Bruegger's Bagels. When I was in high school, I'd get a hot, fresh, plain bagel, nothing on it and unsliced, and eat it from the outside in. As in, I'd peel the crust off first, eat that, then eat the middle kind of like a donut. It's strange, I know. These bagels remind me of that.

These are kind of like my pretzel recipe. Probably slightly easier than my pretzel recipe, though equally tasty. I tried to make bagels using my pretzel recipe and failed miserably at it, but this one was much, much better.

As you might have guessed, making dough is strangely not my forte. I've had to throw entire batches of things out because I couldn't get the consistency right. I love my dough hook on my strand-up mixer, but it doesn't seem to love me. My bread maker, on the other hand, is a very close, good friend. We get along very well. Throw the stuff in, hit a few buttons, walk away, then poof! Dough in two hours.



I made these, boiled and baked them, and of course the smell brought Adam down the stairs. He tried one, responded with just "Yes", then took another one back up to his office. I guess that means that this is a winner? I'm ready to vary on the flavor, maybe a whole wheat, poppy, or everything, but this is a pretty simple enough recipe to be able to try 15 different ways if you want.

To go with it, I made some vegetable cream cheese. The first time I made this, it was because I had a basket of vegetables that my father had won at a family auction. I went up to congratulate him, noted how much was in it, and he promptly handed it to me, telling me I could probably do more with it than he could. So, one of the things I made with it was veggie cream cheese. Stupidly easy, and damn tasty. It helps that the base is regular cream cheese, and throwing in diced veggies and mixing it up are essentially the only directions. Who knew I could enjoy radishes so much?



Bagels with Vegetable Cream Cheese (recipes from allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com)

Bagels (recipe adapted from allrecipes.com):

1 c. warm water (roughly 110 degrees)
1.5 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 c. bread flour (I didn't have enough bread flour, so I substituted 2 cups with regular white whole wheat flour)
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast (one single serve package)
3 quarts boiling water
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cornmeal
1 egg white
if you are interested in toppings, use 3 Tbsp. of your choice-poppyseeds, garlic, sesame seeds, etc.)

Place first five ingredients in the breadmaker with the liquid on the bottom and the yeast on the top. Select dough setting.

When dough is done, let it rest on a floured surface for about ten minutes. While the dough rests, boil the water and 3 tablespoons sugar.

Slice the dough into eight to ten equal pieces. Roll each piece into a small ball , then poke a hole in the middle using your finger. Make the hole and the bagel bigger by twirling it around your finger, then cover and let rest for ten minutes.

Sprinkle a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with cornmeal. Place bagels in boiling water for one minute, flipping over at the 30 second mark. Drain on a towel, then arrange on the baking sheet on top of the cornmeal. Brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with toppings (if using).

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-15 minutes, or until bagels are nicely browned.

Vegetable Cream Cheese (recipe adapted from Food Network)


  • 2 8 oz. packages room temperature cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. minced scallions
  • 2 Tbsp. diced carrot
  • 2 Tbsp. diced celery
  • 2 Tbsp. diced radish 
  • 2 Tbsp. diced red pepper
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low speed until blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment